8/9 Knowing the eta for arriving in St John's, I was out on deck by 6am. I watched the pilot boat arrive beside us. Once the pilot arrived we made for the narrows allowing us into the harbour- there was only 15m on each side of the ship for us to squeeze through! Very rugged coast line. One minute the sun was shining the next the mist was down. Houses were perched on cliff edges. We could see Signal Hill where Marconi sent his first transatlantic message.
We left the ship after breakfast and headed towards the Museum and Jelly House Row. The colourful houses were so bright and cheerful. It was a hike up the hill from the dock - it didn't look steep until you started the ascent and then you felt it. I often paused to look at the scenery - well that was my excuse!! Motorists are unbelievably good here - if they think you want to cross they automatically stop. Makes a change from nearly being run down in other places.
The Museum was very interesting and very informative. If we stood still we felt like we were swaying- 6 days at sea does that I suppose. The three of us were having a little moan about the fact our legs didn't seem to be working in way they should! Downhill and steps were particularly difficult!🤣
We made sure that we were back in time for our departure. We are now leaving 45 minutes late waiting for one coach and from my balcony I spotted a couple sort of running down the hill - I think they were lucky we didn't sail without them - don't think it will be 'happy families' in that cabin tonight - everyone on the starboard side were watching their arrival! Embarrassing!
Clocks go back another half hour tonight and we are 'dashing' to get to Charlottetown before strong winds hamper our arrival.
We've had some great laughs at dinner when on a shared table but last night topped them all - a single lady arrived at the table having attended the 'sip and sail' (cocktails as ship leaves port). She'd had 4 cocktails and never stopped talking - how had she managed to eat? - but she was so funny I don't know how we managed to eat! The Silent Disco and then a show with a magician ended our day. Clocks back 1/2 an hour.
9/9 Grey start to another sea day but luckily the sun did shine. J&J went to a lecture about the 'Space Race' while I went to an art class - Zen Tangle.
Coffee, crosswords, chats, lunch and our mile walk saw us into the afternoon. We were passing islands as we walked - all very unexpected.
Black tie night. We have slowed down (do you say that on a ship?) because we are now in pristine waters and home to whales etc. I thought I seen signs of them in the distance which was confirmed by the Captain. The laundry is out of use for the next few days while we are here and head down the St Lawrence. The show tonight was by the Canadian singer who won the Canadian Voice - she was very good.
10/9 Docked about midnight in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island. No wonder we had to get here early the wind is extreme and hopefully we are tied up tight!
Dad was stationed here for a while in February 1942 - we hope we might be able to find out why!






No comments:
Post a Comment