Friday, January 29, 2021

And so toThredbo!

 My dinner at the Austria restaurant, last night, was delicious and the big surprise was not the huge pork knuckles a Polish group was eating but the fact that the German red wine was very good! I was shocked about the wine because I had always thought that white was the German style - how wrong can you be! I had a pork dish followed by Apfelstrudel and a cherry schnapps - my sinuses needed help, well that's my story!!

I woke this morning to rain and it hasn't stopped all day - it has varied from light to torrential to bucketing! I wandered around the Information Centre in Jindabyne - my plan had been to go for a walk along the lake but that was out.

I made tracks towards Thredbo when I came across a sign to Wildbrumby Schnapps distillery, cafe and art gallery. Remembering my last excursion I 'girded my loins' (prepare oneself for something difficult or challenging) and knowing that it was only 300m from the turning decided to go for it! What a delight! As it was a cold miserable day I decided on the Hot Chocolate with Butterscotch Schnapps. There were tastings of a variety of schnapps and gin but I erred on the side of caution and enjoyed my drink! I did buy a couple of things to take home!


I did like the roadside sign as I  drove away  - 'Buy Australian!' I did my bit. Unfortunately it was very  misty on the drive but as there was so little traffic it wasn't a problem. On entering the National Park I gladly showed my pension card because it meant that I didn't pay the Park fees!

Finding my hotel was relatively easy but parking was a different matter! When I  did park I then started on a long uphill walk to the hotel. Once checked in it was off down the hill to drive up to drop my bag off, then back down again to park and a walk back up again - I am not going to be worried about eating Apfelstrudel while I'm here!!!

Luckily I bought clothes and shoes for every type of weather so I'm able to get out in the rain! There were rather a lot of soaking wet, mud splattered bike riders as I  wandered around. It was rather strange as I recognised the places I had been to about 20 years ago when we came skiing with Sue!


  

My room, while old, has a great view although it is a bit like 'Where's Wally' trying to see  Mount Kosciuszko - hopefully tomorrow!


It was interesting to see the chairlift working although I didn't see anyone on it!
 Dinner in the hotel was very pleasant. Very much German/Austrian food with a very impressive Schnapps menu - the picture just shows one side!






No comments:

Post a Comment