Wednesday, January 27, 2021

Another grey day!

 Unfortunately the day started grey and drizzly but I was determined to get out and about!

I decided to head towards Dalgety, which is on the banks of the Snowy River. It was an interesting drive and the wide open spaces are wonderful.




This town, more like a village, was once considered as a potential site for the nation's capital! Back in the 1800s it was an important river crossing for cattle and sheep. 



I had a wander around the place with a local map and there were some interesting buildings. One of the strangest was the Catholic church which was called ' Our Lady of the Star of the Sea' - it wasn't the building that was strange but the name! The sea is a  considerable way away from Dalgety but someone decided that the noise from  the river sounded like the sea and hence the name of the church! 






I took a different route back and came across a sign advertising a winery and microbrewery. Why not have a look I said to myself? So I headed off down the dirt road (pictured) for 8kms of lumps, bumps and bidders!

Only to find that it was closed! 

Back in Jindabyne for the afternoon I had a lovely walk along the lake - luckily the rain held off. 




Dinner tonight is at an Austrian restaurant so should be interesting!









No comments:

Post a Comment