Sunday, January 31, 2021

Reached the highest spot in Australia!




 Saturday started as a rainy day - it didn't seem heavy at first but typically, as I started a walk it became so heavy that after 30mins I had to retreat back to my room and dry out! As the torrential rain lasted a couple of hours I used my time wisely and read a book!

Eventually the rain cleared and it was a lovely afternoon. I took the opportunity to take a walk along the river. Having had so much rain the river was pelting along.




It was a relatively dry path and the walking was easy. I took my time checking out the plants, etc.



I ended up skirting the highest golf course in Australia - no one was playing on it as I would think it was waterlogged!

Today was one of those amazing blue sky days so I decided it was time to go up the mountain!

For some reason I thought it would be a good idea to reach the highest spot in Australia!  Although the scenery was beautiful I was questioning myself about whether I would make it or not!!!



I used the excuse, only to myself, to take photos and that gave me time to catch my breath.


 I did reach the stage where I thought there was no way I would make it but looked down and there was a sign which said 2.5km to go! Well I reasoned with myself and said as you're over half way you might as well continue! So I did!  You forget  what a big country Australia is until you see some of the wide open spaces.


 I plodded on and with encouragement - "You're nearly there!" - made it to the top!
Only trouble was there were 7.5km back to the chair lift!! I was determined to make it back before the last chair lift at 5 - made it with hours to spare!! On completing those 7.5kms I, literally, dragged myself up to the cafe and downed an icy cold beer - I felt I'd deserved it. 
One big problem was getting back to the hotel - numerous steps and a steep hill! On reaching my room I  collapsed onto the bed unable to move - well I did take my walking boots off oh the bliss and agony!

Hoping that I will be able to walk and also drive I will head back home tomorrow.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment