Monday, March 11, 2024

Papua New Guinea

 


We left Cairns a little late - I think the tender with a problem was being checked out! That evening, we were into Rock and Roll without the music! Don't believe the Captain when he says we will have a smooth passage!! 

It probably wasn't really rough, but we were really rolling - nobody could walk in a straight line!!


Yesterday was a day at sea. I couldn't do a nautical mile with the ship rolling the way it was, so I gave myself a day off! I was feeling a bit queasy and tired. I hadn't had a good nights sleep! went to two interesting talks during the day and a hilarious magician/comedian in the evening. 


Today,Sunday, the sun is blazing down as we are sailing between rainforest covered islands. We should be docking in  Alotau, Papua New Guinea, in about an hour! 


I am enjoying my time and have pre dinner drinks with a couple of ladies from Canberra. One evening, when the three of us were having dinner, a passenger came over to us  - we all thought she was going to 'tell us off' about the noise we were making, but she said it was so good to hear so much laughter!!


We arrived in PNG a little earlier than expected, and it took a while to get us tied up, plus whatever formalities needed to be completed. I went into the pool, which was very salty. You need to test the water in the poolside before stepping under because it can be boiling! I am surprised at the number of people you lay out in the sun all day - wonder if they realise what they are doing to their skin


People are getting off the ship  and have been greeted by a dance group in traditional dress  - I hope they are still there when I get off for my excursion. By the time I got off the ship, it was pouring. We were all driven in mini buses to different parts of this area. The only seat was right at the front with no door. I had to scramble over an 'engine cover'(?) to get to it. Perhaps always walking up the stairs has helped my agility 🤣.


Wending our way around huge potholes, we reached an area where the locals gave a dance performance and showed their carving and basket weaving skills. We then visited a War Memorial in honour of the bravery against the Japenese invasion.


It was unbelievably hot and humid, and a cold shower was pure bliss. 


Listened to an amazing Australian guitarist in the evening!


Monday - day at sea!






No comments:

Post a Comment